Advertisement

16 inmates moved as first COVID‑era block converts to prison housing

One of the five blocks of the new prison unit developed at the former Hulhumale' COVID‑19 facility now completed, May 24, 2026. (Photo/Maldives Correctional Service)

One of the five blocks of the new prison unit being developed at the former Hulhumale' COVID‑19 facility has now been completed, with 16 inmates transferred there on Saturday.

The unit, being built on the site previously used during the pandemic, is designed to house 140 inmates. The project consists of a two‑storey structure divided into five blocks.

Corrections said the first completed block has begun receiving inmates from the initial batch. The new unit will include holding cells to accommodate prisoners serving sentences in the Male' area.

According to the agency, all work on the ground floor is scheduled to finish by June, enabling the accommodation of inmates who need to be brought to Male' for court hearings and medical treatment, a move expected to reduce transportation costs.

Prisons Commissioner Hassan Zareer said in December that the Corrections Department expects to add around 140 additional spaces to its facilities. He noted that 124 spaces had already been added since the current administration took office, with further expansion underway.

Zareer also said the increase in capacity would allow authorities to bring in around 50 inmates per day for in‑person trials, while 50–70 hearings continue to be conducted online daily.

The Association for the Prevention of Torture, citing figures from the Homeland Security Ministry, reported that the Maldives had 1,347 prisoners as of June 2024.

If you want a longer headline, subhead, or a sidebar explainer on the facility’s background or capacity numbers, I can prepare that too.

Advertisement
Comment