Advertisement

MTCC: Police case filed against employee who leaked app data

A car in the Male' Taxi Line fleet: MTCC files case against staff who leaked Taxi Line app data. (Photo/MTCC)

Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC), on Monday, said it has formally filed a police complaint against the employee accused of leaking sensitive information from the ‘Male' Taxi Line’ application, which was developed at a cost of approximately MVR 13 million.

The incident came to light on Saturday night following reports of disruptions to the service, during which the names of drivers listed on the application were altered, ultimately resulting in a complete suspension of the service. Following the disruption, sensitive user information, including names, phone numbers, wallet IDs, and email addresses, was leaked on social media platforms.

In a statement on Sunday, rejected claims that the application had been subjected to a cyberattack. The company said its internal investigation identified an employee who had accessed the application’s backend to manipulate and leak private information. According to MTCC, the employee acted without authorization and was motivated by personal and political objectives.

Although the employee's identity has not been disclosed, MTCC stated that the individual acted without authorization and was motivated by personal and political objectives. The company confirmed that the staff member had been suspended from all duties effective Sunday.

In a follow-up statement issued on Monday, MTCC confirmed that the matter has been formally referred to the Maldives Police Service for a criminal investigation.

The company reassured its customers and shareholders that it remains committed to taking all necessary measures to safeguard their rights and protect the security of their data.

"We extend our profound gratitude to the Government of Maldives, our shareholders, customers, and business partners for their continued trust in this company," the statement read.

MTCC also expressed appreciation for the public's positive reception of the taxi service since its launch, reaffirming its commitment to providing convenient transportation services at regulated rates.

The ‘Male’ Taxi Line’ was initially launched by the current administration on April 2 to provide convenient transportation services across Male’, Hulhumale’, and Villingili. However, the service experienced significant delays, resulting in public inconvenience, before it was formally relaunched on June 2.

MTCC reported that the service, which commenced operations with a fleet of 150 fully electric (EV) and environmentally friendly vehicles, completed more than 13,000 trips during its first month of operation.

 

The development of the taxi application has previously come under scrutiny. Mohamed Ibrahim (Kudoo), the MDP Member of Parliament for Galolhu North, had earlier raised the matter at the People’s Majlis, alleging corruption in the procurement and development of the application.                     

Advertisement
Comment